@shaktischild gained attention on social media as the user recalled the horrific aftermath of a past douching experience while visiting Cancun, Mexico.“Douched in Cancun… I bled for days,” @shaktishcild wrote. “I had to wait until I landed back in NYC to go to the hospital and they pulled a tapeworm out of me.

Horrific experience.” Over the years, it’s become pretty common advice for travelers to avoid drinking tap water during international trips.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises:“When traveling abroad, know where your water comes from. Contaminated water can look clean but still have harmful bacteria, viruses, and parasites.