Superheroes take centre stage at this year’s Pretoria Pride, which is set to take Snor City by storm on Saturday, 5 October at the Centurion Rugby Club.
Speaking to MambaOnline, Pretoria Pride’s organisers say that this year’s theme, “Who’s Your Superhero?” goes beyond the fictional superheroes tasked with saving humanity, with the annual celebration including real-life champions for the rights of the LGBTQI+ community.
“LGBTQ+ superheroes are few and far between in the world of comic books, but in real life there are many. Some are cleverly disguised as mom or dad while others might be a teacher or an activist. Simon Nkoli was a superhero, as is Judge Edwin Cameron, because of what they achieved; changing the country and its people.”
20 bucks gets you a general admission ticket to the official event at the Centurion Rugby Club (VIP tickets go for R150 a pop) and the march, which is free, starts at 13:00, with a minute’s silence halfway to commemorate and show unity with those who have died because of their sexual orientation or identity. Gates open at 09:00.
GaySA Radio, together with a number of partners, is thrilled to host a best-dressed competition before the march starts. If you’d like to stand a chance to win one of the many prizes – worth R36,000 in all – that are up for grabs, make sure you’re at the Centurion Rugby Club before 12:00. The best-dressed competition kicks off at 12:00, just before the march, and prizes include:
• Cellphones, sponsored by Corporate-Link Event Management
• An Indaba Hotel spa voucher worth R3,500
• A bespoke tailored dress or suit worth R5,000 from Immagika Creative Designs
• Dental treatments worth R7,000 by Dr Chris Traut
• Q Plus sponsors a R1,000 voucher for the third place, a R1,500 voucher for second place and a R2,500 voucher for the winner, together with a R1000 hamper to be given to a member of the audience in a lucky draw.
There’s still time to put together an outfit worthy of leading the march – will you opt for a fictional superhero or pay homage to those that led the way to equality? We can’t wait to see you at Pretoria Pride!